Monday, August 29, 2011

Protein Reduces Hunger


Researchers don't really know why yet, but it makes sense to me that Protein reduces Hunger given our original diet as humans. We were designed to work most effectively on the foods that would have been most available back then.

Online reading suggests there are no dangers with a high protein diet unless you have kidney disease. And that based on existing research, we should be aiming for around 120gms a day total, so you need to decide if my plan fits your circumstances for yourself. Please they always say you should see your doctor to be on the safe side ...

So what is an appropriate serving size for protein? Well it changes depending on the item, for example Peanut Butter would be 2 Tablespoons vs a piece of Chicken Breast the size of a deck of cards.

I am eating protein with every meal and making sure that I eat three meals a day.

I have started with just a few options:
100g Lean Chicken
100g Lean Beef
100g Lean Fish
60g Low fat Cheese (Ricotta, Cottage)
60g Low fat Yoghurt
1 egg
maybe a few walnuts at some stage ... VNess has reminded me how fantastic nuts are ...

I am not particularly fond of shellfish - blurk - but Mussels, Oysters, Prawn etc all seem a fantastic choice for someone who is.

5 comments:

  1. About a year ago I realised that the reason my clothes didn't fit any more was because I was always starving by about 10am so I would have a scone or a muffin and of course a nice chocolatey mocha or something to go with it. No more! Now almost every day for breakfast I have a smoothie with milk, a banana, and two scoops of Sculpt protein powder. It's wonderful, I'm saving a fortune and I'm not hungry until about 1pm now. Oh, and my clothes fit again :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is fantastic Jenny! And the first dose of protein for breakfast is still something I struggle to make a priority every day ... I have been having kiwifruit and low fat yoghurt at the mo but I love the idea of adding some protein powder ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm having the following which keeps me full to lunch time, with the addition of a piece of fruit at morning tea.
    1/2 cup of yoghurt
    1 1/2 weet-bix
    handful of seeds

    the seeds I get from the bulk bin.
    1 part cranberry mix (sunflower, pumpkin, pinenut, sesame, almond)
    1 part linseed
    1/2 part chia seed

    I remove the cranberries because a) there like sultanas and b) they'd be high in sugar

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am thinking about how I can include seeds (walnuts/sunflower). Over breakfast or in a salad both sound yum. The other one I want to try and add is a little good fat (avocado/flaxseed).

    ReplyDelete