Sunday, September 25, 2011

Biohacking and Bulletproof Coffee

So part of this journey I am on has been about really looking into the right food for my body.

One of my colleagues at a client site posted a link on her facebook about Bulletproof Coffee. Clicking on the link led me to probably a couple of hours of reading posts at the time.


Initally, I was restricting my intake in a pretty extreme way, and I think I really needed to do that. So much of eating for me has always been about emotions and irrational thinking, and one of the main benefits of doing that was that I was actually able to take a break from my own brain, my own thinking.

What a relief! I even got really good at explaining what I was doing in a way that made sense to my own irrational thinking.

So now I thinking more about the difference between restricting intake to loose weight and retraining my body and resetting my metabolism.

The guy posting calls himself the Bulletproof Executive and has taken the concept of Biohacking to the extreme! I'll leave you to click on the link - his coffee, and concepts, are not for the faint of heart.


I can see that by doing a solely restrictive diet, there is a very real chance that my body will simply get completely confused, thinking it is starving and therefore slowing down my metabolism.

And this explains why so many people that do something like the Cohen diet lose heaps of weight - may 40kg - then put all that weight, and more, back on once they reach their goal weight.

I am trying to start replacing bad choices in my diet with really nutritious choices. Even though I have no idea how to prepare Jerusalem Artichokes!

Already I have noticed that I am more prepared to buy small quantities of really good products rather that stock standard grub from the supermarket. I am beginning to understand that price isn't the only factor when it may as well be toxic to me.

 

So today I am posting some of my recent purchases for your reading pleasure. And I am interested in how you think I could consider incorporating these into my diet

Real mozzarella balls - the fresh stuff is apparently really good as cheeses go and this tub has plenty of cherry tomato size balls.
Real wasabi - anything with intense flavourings is gonna be a winner and I've always had the cheap green horseradish variety.
Barrys Bay cheese - this is intended to be the opposite of the mozzarella, really tasty and designed for using just a small amount at a time.
LSA (linseed, sunflower and almond crush) - a friend sent a link saying this stuff is good for you. Only way I've used it so far is mixed through yoghurt.
Coconut Oil - apparently this is good for you. The Bulletproof Executive gets half his calories from fats, but always the good one. How is the next question ...
Steel-cut oats - a friend posted a link on facebook about making yoghurt crunch cups and the same site had a posting abut making steel-cut oats. Very soon after, there they were, tempting to be bought. Will let you know how they turn out.
Baby food - not sure if I already mentioned, but fruit purees are great for putting through low fat unsweetened yoghurt.
Clearwater Topless Yoghurt - I get this tub at a local market and it lasts for months as long as you carefully remove portions with sterile spoons.
Jerusalem Artichokes - apparently similar to potato but better for you and good at stablising blood sugars.
Free range, corn fed chicken - I try and buy a packet that is the right weight to easily split into meals. This packet is two meals for me.

This week I have been out with the girls for a Thai banquet and had pizza delivered last night. Which makes it even more remarkable that my weight this week is 85.2kg.

No comments:

Post a Comment