Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Phantom Pregnancy

I remember standing at a good friend's desk at work complaining that my boobs ached. Like really sore. If I didn't know better, I'd think I was pregnant.

I had been having naps after getting home from work, nausea and sore boobs for weeks. But I couldn't be pregnant. I can't get pregnant.

Remember? There's a 1 in 10 chance and we were really just waiting for assistance when we do want to conceive.

Because of my Polycystic Ovaries, I was used to an irregular cycle. Anyway, it had already been more three months since my last one.

But eventually I did buy a test. On the morning of a matinee showing of "Mum's the Word!" about the perils of parenthood! I even told the Pharmacy Assistant a completely logical reason for needing the test that was nothing to do with confirming pregnancy.

And I really was shocked (and thrilled!) when the test came back with two lines! Those lines didn't take 3 mins to appear or appear as pale blue. As the liquid moved across the window, it was like a marker line appearing.

To this day I consider it a miracle that the only time I had ovulated that year we managed to conceive my gorgeous boy.

And how long did it take me to do a test? Nine weeks.

2 comments:

  1. Funny how one feels compelled to justify buying a pregnancy test when you're an adult woman of socially acceptable reproductive age :-) And what was the reason you told him/her?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, over the years I have had some looong cycles and have taken a few tests in my time, so I guess something along the lines of that :D

    ReplyDelete