Thursday, September 8, 2011

McDonald's Chicken Salad


I know that going to Maccas for a salad is like an addict going to the Pub for a drink of water.

But dammit, Maccas marketing is so good that my kids think is it just an expected part of life. The children are quite used to having a burger and fries or froke. As I have been.

I would guesstimate that the kids go to Maccas at least once a week on average.

This horrifies my Mum, since "we had Fish and Chips once a year growing up".

I am happy to say that my eldest son is becoming more discerning and will happily choose sushi over a burger if we are in a food court. Though that has it's own cost: financial. Especially since he wants the ten dollar pack with the prawns and shrimps. Frankly, Maccas would be cheaper. But only financially.

My friend Charlotte was saying that her eldest was quite alot older than alot of other kids the first time she offered Tim a chip. At first he didn't know what to do with the chip kind of looked at her as if asking "What do I do with this?". Her next boy, Ben, was very early with the "Give me more".

I think the thing in that is that its easier to avoid contact with the first but the third in the family will be chuggin down fries at 6 months and 2 days!

So just after I was starting this journey, my youngest (age 2 and a half and very familiar with Maccas) was attending a party and I was challenged to find something suitable on the menu.

I bought a side salad for $3 and a seared chicken breast fillet for $2. And a low fat Garlic and Black Pepper Balsamic Vinegar dressing. I think they have a Chicken Salad choice for around $8 as well. Mehh.

As work is directly across from a mall and food court, this has become one of my lunch choices. And since Gio and Michelle are eating healthy as well, we have, between us, ordered enough Chicken Salads over the month to run the mall franchise out of that yummy low fat dressing. Is that an achievement?

Franchises charge differently for a fillet, but they are quite happy to do this. I am still on my journey to health, and I am able to attend a birthday party with my children, if need be.

1 comment:

  1. I tend to get the Happy Meal with the seared chicken wrap, apple slices, and a choc milk for a treat ;-)

    ReplyDelete